Saturday 13 August 2022

To Patreon or Not To Patreon

I have been urged to consider creating a Patreon so that individuals could offer some direct support for my work. And I am considering it. I am hoping to gain some input from readers of this blog, though.

First off, any exclusive Patreon work would be in addition to, not instead of, Raven Crowking's Nest and the DCC Trove of Treasures. DCC (and related games) have the best fans in the world, and I am hesitant in these days of rising costs to put anything behind a paywall. But, of course, published adventures are behind a paywall, and in these days of rising costs I could use whatever revenue streams present themselves.

There would also be no question about using the DCC or MCC compatibility logos - without going through the approval process for anything done on Patreon, that would be a no-go. On the other hand, I could produce whatever the hell I wanted, so long as I avoided specific IP. Mudpuppy Games has done very well this way with Scientific Barbarian and related titles.

What I am thinking of doing are small collections of unique creatures, mini-adventures, and encounters that you can slot into your game. Obviously, I would have to do artwork and maps, so we are not talking about professional quality for those!

Anyway, I am looking for advice or opinions.

If you don't feel like leaving a comment on this post, you can message me on Facebook or on Reddit. Please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. It's a terrific idea and I'm sure it would be embraced by the DCC community - a group that's always looking for ways to support creators like you. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.